Tuesday, February 27, 2007

"Colonel Bat Guano, if that is your real name."

Speaking of satire, this is a joke, right?

Getting Asia right in this regard does not mean the imposition of U.S. values on the region, but rather encouraging an environment in which the region's
leaders define their own national success in terms that are consonant with U.S. political and economic objectives.
"But rather"?

How does "but rather" enter into it?

How is "encouraging an environment in which the region's leaders define their own national success in terms that are consonant with U.S. political and economic objectives" any different from an "imposition of U.S. values on the region"?

Except for the obvious difference that the "imposition of U.S. values on the region" is concise, clear and honest?

Can one get anymore Strangelovian than this?

Ah, but you see these are the words of those who must be obeyed.

"We'll meet again...don't know where...don't know when..."

2 comments:

Jun Okumura said...

By coincidence, L asked me what I thought of that report. I had to tell him I hadn't read it because I didn't think the report had any standing in Washington.

Just a hunch. Have you heard differently? If so, I'll read it, and tell you what I make of it.

Speaking of Nye, I'm reading the 20 Years' Crisis. Do you think Carr inspired Nye's Soft Power?

Unknown said...

CORRECTION : "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED"