Due to his bulging eyes and spacey pronouncements, former Prime Minister Hatoyama Yukio earned the sobriquet "the Alien." To be sure, he acts as if he is from another planet.
The planet Horse Manure.
When will the man stop making nonsense promises?
Yesterday, in Muroran City, he told a group of 700 supporters he wanted to change the Chinese characters of his name Yukio (由紀夫) to Yuukio (友紀夫) in order to promote his and his father's concept of yuuai (友愛). (J)
Sure. Like he is going to change the pronunciation of his name to something ridiculous.
Like he said:
- he would move the operations of the Marine Corps Air Station Futenma outside of Okinawa Prefecture (19 July 2009)
- "Trust me" to U.S. President Barack Obama, when asked whether or not he had a solution to the Futenma problem. (13 November 2009)
- he was "totally unaware" of the hundreds of millions of yen his mother donated to his political funding organization (25 December 2009)
- he would have a solution to the Futenma problem by the end of May 2010 (7 January 2010)
- in the Diet testimony that he had "a secret plan" to solve the Futenma plan (31 March 2010)
- to supporters in Hokkaido that he would not seek reelection to his Diet seat (made June 2010, rescinded on 18 December 2010)
- he had secured the resignation in the very near future of Prime Minister Kan Naoto (claimed on 2 June 2011, repudiated by Kan on 3 June 2011)
It remains an open question of course, whether or not Hatoyama will, upon his retirement from the Diet, take up farming (21 February 2010).
Somehow, I would not bet on it.
Ozawa Ichiro sure did the party a favor when he railroaded the election of Hatoyama to head the Democratic Party of Japan in May 2009. Yep, he foisted upon the country a real leader for a new age.
The churn in China’s leadership
1 hour ago