Tuesday, September 18, 2007

In Awe in Kamakura

I am once again in awe at the miracle that is Observing Japan (check out the posts from the last two days).

Not only is the Observer able to pound out essay after essay on topics of immediate interest, he is able to do it while living in Kamakura.

Were I living in Kamakura, I would be hopeless.

I would visit temples, fiddling about with an ever-increasing array of photographic equipment (This lens just does not do this scene justice! Time to visit Yodobashi Kamera...again)

I would study shodō or biwa or Rinzai zen or temple inscriptions.

In the afternoons I would take my dog to the beach, my board strapped to my bicycle. I would leave my dog to guard my stuff (he's cool about that) and lose a few (just a few?) hours catching some waves. At night I would wander the lanes with above mentioned dog, maybe buy a purple sweet potato ice cream cone and suddenly wonder, "Is tomorrow really a work day?"

White manjushage - also called higanbana
Grounds of Myōhōji
Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture
September 17, 2007

White ginger - Shōga- Hedychium coronarium
Grounds of Myōhōji
Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture
September 17, 2007

Finial of the Main Hall, Myōhōji
Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture
September 17, 2007

Heavenly King, Chōshōji
Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture
September 17, 2007

Up through the cracks
Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture
September 17, 2007

Windsurfers, Yuigahama
Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture
September 17, 2007



Yep, it's not all sarariman, racchi jiken and shakai kakusa. There's the Shōnan alternative.


Later - It seems that Lionel Dersot was in Kamakura too, right on the beach, right about the same time as moi.

3 comments:

Lionel Dersot said...

Zushi beach to be more exact, that is next door Kamakura. What a lovely sunset it was, n'est-ce pas?

And yes, Observing Japan is awesome.

Anonymous said...

I went to that gorgeous city last year. For those, like moi too, who ADORE Kamakura, I higly recommend them having a look at June 1st issue of Pen (with new attitude!), the Japanese design magazine: 鎌倉の旅へ. Just oh so cool.
Stop politics. Enjoy life.
Does anyone have an idea of the price of a little house there?

Anonymous said...

oh, wish to God you could ...

Ochka