Thursday, August 26, 2010

Your Constant Companion

So Ozawa Ichiro goes to it.
Ozawa to challenge Kan in DPJ leadership race
Kyodo News

Ichiro Ozawa, one of the most powerful figures in the Democratic Party of Japan, told reporters Thursday morning that he will run in the ruling party's leadership election next month, challenging Prime Minister Naoto Kan for the party leadership...

Do your know what I love about this story? Paragraph three.
Hatoyama told reporters separately that he will support Ozawa in the race since he had been the one who had invited Ozawa to join the party. Ozawa joined the DPJ in 2003 when he and a small party he then headed merged with it.

Why do I love paragraph three so? Because it is followed by paragraph four.
The declaration of support by Hatoyama, who leads an intraparty group of about 50 lawmakers, came after he had told Ozawa during a meeting on Tuesday that he would back Kan's reelection as DPJ leader.

Proving once again the Nagata-cho political adage that the shortest distance between two points is the distance between the tips of Hatoyama Yukio's fingers and the wheels of a bus.

1 comment:

Philippe said...

So, what are the odds that he'll bolt out before the end of the month? I mean, I have the distinct impression that Ozawa is playing one of his tricks here. 'I'm candidate because the press and the terebi told everybody I would do it'. And we know by now how much big O dislikes the mass media.

Unless big O really really hates Kan. But I don't think it is that bad.

(In other words, I think I'm missing something, because the whole show doesn't make any sense.)