Monday, May 14, 2012

In Lotus Land

Thank goodness for The Tokyo Diplomat. Without it I would never have been alerted to Tokyo Metropolitan District Governor Ishihara Shintaro's spectacularly weird suggestion that nuclear power plants be built on Nokogiriyama in Chiba Prefecture ("There's a lot of empty land up there," the governor claims), under the reasoning that if the Greater Tokyo Area is the consumer of the power produced by nuclear power plants, it should host a few. (J)

Guys, and Kannon-sama, Ishihara-chiji thinks you need some big time engineering company.


Black-tailed gulls (Umineko - Larus crassirostris) over Nokogiriyama.


Kannon of the Nippon-ji.
Nokogiriyama, Chiba Prefecture.


Jigoku nozoki ("The Glimpse Into Hell").
Nokogiriyama, Chiba Prefecture.


One of the 1,500 Rakkan.
Nokogiriyama, Chiba Prefecture.


The Great Buddha of the Nippon-ji
(carved 1783-6 and until 1984 the largest Buddha figure in Japan).
Nokogiriyama, Chiba Prefecture.


Face of the Great Buddha of the Nippon-ji.
Nokogiriyama, Chiba Prefecture.


All photos: MTC

3 comments:

Avery said...

Chiba prefecture has long been known as a totally great place for Tokyo to build airports and things. I'm sure this won't be met with any resistance at all!

Balefire said...

Why not propose, say, Mt. Takao, I wonder?

Our Man in Abiko said...

Abiko is a hotbed of interest in nuke power. I meant hotspot. Hotspot of interest in nuke power. Did I say nuke power? I meant radiation. A hotspot of radiation, yes that's it. Did I say interest? I meant not interested. Thank you.